REALITY VS EXPECTATION: Life as a university student

After Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM), students are busy searching for the best university to enter and do some researches on how actually the life of a university student be like. Life as a university student is totally different from school student. There are a lot of changes that need to be made and we need to adapt with the changes. Before entering university, I also Google about the life in university, reading other people's experiences and ask people that have entered university. But the reality is not always same as what we expected.

After two years becoming a university student, there are a lot of new things and reality that I have figured out.

First expectation: Everyone in the university is intelligent in all subjects.
When I first come to university, I feel scare that I cannot compete with others after I found that most of my classmates are scholars and they are from boarding school. Besides, I also don't have background in IT. The last time I really used computer was in form 2. At that time, I'm using Windows 7 but when I go to university, they already use Windows 10, guys.

First reality: You start from zero and become hero later.
Although you are an excellent student during secondary school, it does not guarantee that you will be top student in university. As a human, it is common for us to forget what we have learnt especially if we do not apply the knowledge for long period of time. Sometimes you feel like you never learn the topic before although you actually have learnt it during secondary school. Usually, the registration for diploma or foundation students are around May to July. So imagine how long already we do not study?

Second expectation: University students are more matured.
I always think that in university there will be less problem with your classmates. I expected that when it comes to group assignment, everyone will give cooperation and there is no drama. Since university students are assumed to be more matured, I thought everyone know how to complete their task and there is no student that cannot work together due to personal problem.

Second reality: Some university students are childish in certain situation.
Same drama and problems in secondary schools can be found in university. The worse case is when you get group members that do not want to give cooperation in completing the assignment. There are people that just simply do the task but hoping that their group can get high marks. Some don't even attend the meeting and just give blue ticks in Whatsapp. These sleeping partners caused others to work harder so that their group won't get low marks. The best advice that I can give is that choose group members that you already know their attitudes rather than go to search strangers to become your group members. Some people will say it is better to change group members for each assignment so that you gain experiences of working with different type of people. I don't really agree with this statement because this is your life and you are the one who are going to go through it. So, choice on your hand.

Third expectation: Timetable in university is more flexible than school.
Among the best thing about university that people told me before I enter university is the flexible timetable. They told me that I can arrange my own timetable. For example, I can choose to have morning class, evening class or night class. I thought that it is very good to have gap between classes not like school where you only have around 20-30 minutes break for the whole day.

Third reality: 24 hours is not enough for you.
Not all subject you can choose the timing especially if your course have less students. For courses or subjects with less students, usually only one choice is available. Sometimes the class is from 5 to 7 pm and it is a lecture. Imagine how are we going to focus for 2 hours lecture at this time. This kind of thing happen to me. Even though you might have gap between classes, there is nothing much you can do. Many students choose to sleep during the gap. Why? Because you have to burn the midnight oil. You have to sacrifice your sleeping time at night especially when the assignment submissions are just around the corner. Finish class doesn't mean your work is done.

I hope that what I have shared can give you some overview about the life as a university student. Don't be afraid to enter university but use the experiences and knowledge that you get from others to manage your life and overcome all the challenges. Enjoy your life as a university students. 

Feel free to share your experiences also.

Today quote: You will really know about something when you experience it. Knowledge and experiences from others are not enough for you to learn something. However, you can use them  as a guideline so that you have an idea on how to face it.

Comments