EXPERIENCE: Tutoring after completed secondary school

Hi my blog visitors and supporters.
Today, I will continue my tutoring story. Thank you to those who have spent their time to read my story. I really appreciate it.

So, lets get started. After SPM, I did not have any tutoring session until I entered university. If I am not mistaken, I started to teach again during my first trimester break. One of my school junior which I never know before send Whatsapp to me but I just ignored😂. I thought she wrongly sent message to me because I did not have her phone number. After she introduced herself and told me that her neighbour which is my friend informed her that I could teach her mathematics, only then I gave response. Thank you to that person who promoted my tutoring service.

When the girl said that she wanted to learn math from me, I was shocked. I totally never expect that someone would approach me for tutoring after my secondary school. At that moment, I was quite worried as I only have experience of teaching my friends which I have already known for many years. I was not sure how am I going to start the conversation with stranger. Although we studied at the same school, I never meet her before. I realized that teaching my friends and other people are not the same and I worried that I could not carry out my responsibilities as a tutor.

However, I tried to be positive. I looked it as an opportunity for me to share the knowledge that I have with others. So, I took the challenge and started to teach her. It was a bit awkward at first but after a few session, I felt more comfortable with her. The tutoring session continued until she sat for SPM. I never meet her after that but I hope that she is good in her study now.

After getting the experiences of teaching someone who I do not know, I feel that I enjoy doing peer tutoring. Therefore, I decided to join a peer tutoring programme during my second trimester of foundation. It is actually a program to help the students who are under probation but it is also open for other students. I thought that the classes would be okay like my previous experiences. However, it is not. Some of my students did not respect me as their tutor probably because they think that I am young and our age is almost the same.

I was quite sad and disappointed for my first class as a peer tutor in university. I thought that I was ready to face everything since it was my second trimester in university. At that moment, I was thinking whether my decision is correct. Should I continue to become a tutor or just stop here? I took some time to think about my decision. Then, I decided to continue. I cannot assume that all students are the same. If one student does not respect me, it does not mean that all the students are like that.

In one year, I will join the peer tutoring programme for one or two trimester depends on my timetable. Once I entered degree, I feel that the students are more respect to me and I also have more things to share with them. For your information, I am still tutoring for foundation subjects which are algebra and calculus although I am a degree student now.

My sharing is not to show that I am a perfect and good person. I just want to share my experiences so that they may help those who would like to become a peer tutor also. I am not a lecturer or teacher who have many years of experiences, but I can share my opinions and give some motivation for my students from student point of view based on my experiences. Some of my friends also asked my opinions about choosing courses in university. I can give opinions based on what I see in people around me. If you guys want to know more about university life and some tips to choose the course in university, you can read my entries under labels After SPM and University. It may not fully potray the real situation as a university student, but at least you will get some overview.

I will stop here, See you in the other entries. Do leave comment if you have any question. I will try my best to help you by giving my opinions and suggestions.

Comments

  1. Bagus juga dpt bantu student lain dengan bagi tuition ni kan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haah. Kita pun dapat ulang kaji balik apa yang dah dipelajari. Kalau tak, lepas habis exam mesti terus lupa🤣.

      Delete
  2. Love studying algebra 😍 Rindulah zaman sekolah. Kat uni dh xbelahar Maths haha 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samalah, antara subjek favourite tu. Tapi sekarang ni dah tak ambil subjek math sebab lebih hanya ada core subject je.

      Delete

Post a Comment