EXPERIENCE: Dealing With Students Attitude As A Peer Tutor

Hi guys. It's been a long time since my last entry on my peer tutoring journey. To those who have not read my previous sharing, you can click the links at the end of this entry. I started as peer tutor in 2015 and now we are in 2020. So, I have been in this field around 5 years which let me to meet different kind of students.

For your information, I did peer tutoring for secondary school students (SPM) and university students (foundation). Obviously, the age differences may lead to different attitude that I had to face.

In the first few years of my tutoring journey, I met so many hardworking students who really wanted to improve their grade especially in mathematics subject. They didn't mind to spend their money for transportation to come to my place.

Besides, they also followed my instructions and completed the tasks within the specified time. I could feel that they really respect me as their tutor. Phones were put aside during the class. They allocated their time just to do exercises and listen to my explanation.

Some students really came to the class to get the knowledge that I would like to share. They even asked questions after class to understand better. Although it was rarely happened, but I'm glad that I got the opportunity to meet this kind of students.

However, tutor will not always meet good students only. Sometimes I had to deal with students who required me to be more patience. The longer the duration I have been in peer tutoring, I started to realise that not all of our students will be like what we had expected.

I had been in a class where some of my students did not respect me as their tutor. Their bodies were in the class but not their souls. They did not complete the tasks that I had given at the beginning of the class.

Some students played phones during class. Probably because our age are almost similar and they do not need to pay for the class. Therefore, they may think that it is not necessary to respect me and focus during the class.

On top of that, I had been in a situation where students asking for answers while I was waiting for the previous class to finish. I did not even start the class yet but they were so brave to ask the answers from me.

Being a peer tutor is not easy. It requires courage to stand in front of the students and try to get their attention.  Although some students may not appreciate my effort but I do not give up with peer tutoring. This is because my job is to share the knowledge with my students. I did my job but I could not choose how my students would respond.

I hope that all the students can stay focus in class and respect your teachers/lecturers/tutors because not everyone are willing to spend their time and put some effort to teach you. You should be grateful as you get the opportunity to study. Some people cannot afford to continue their study.

If you are also a peer tutor, you are welcomed to share your experience in the comment section. See you in the next entry.

Read about my tutoring journey:
Starting journey of becoming a peer tutor
Tutoring after completed secondary school

Comments

  1. jgnkan jd peer tutor. ajar anak sdiri je dah pening + stress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu, kak. Nak ajar seorang pelajar pun dah memerlukan kesabaran yang tinggi.

      Delete

Post a Comment